Sr. Director, Business Development – InternationalApply Now
VP, Business Development
This position is a highly-visible role within ChargePoint and the industry – to drive the deployment strategy, plan and execution of ChargePoint’s global expansion to Europe, China, and Rest of World. As the team grows, it is expected this role will manage the team, develop the strategy and deliver on initiatives and key metrics.
The role is responsible for reporting to the head of BD and the executive staff of ChargePoint, and is responsible for delivering agreed global expansion initiatives.
The role will take guidance from the executive management team and Board of Directors, and create market expansion plans for Europe and China (and later for Rest of World). These plans will include and integrate investment funding planning and execution, internal coordination and delivery of functional plans (product roadmap and engineering, go-to-market and sales channels, support and services, manufacturing and operations, management and G&A), entity establishment in expansion territories, setup and knowledge transfer and transition planning and execution.
The position requires that the candidate can pitch and sell ChargePoint’s business model and expansion plan to potential investors (often working alongside ChargePoint management team and Board members) and can credibly represent ChargePoint’s management at executive levels within investors, strategic partners (automotive, high tech, competitors), government & utility (when needed). Presentation, summarization, and closing skills are essential.
The position also requires internal coordination of departments and cross functional team management to prepare functional plans and deliver on these plans. Diplomacy and understanding of all functions within an organization are essential skills.
The role will be pivotal in ChargePoint expanding to new territories and creating a dominant position for ChargePoint in those markets, creating equity value in the hundreds of millions and revenues in the tens of millions within three years of entry to these markets.
- Primary responsibilities are defined above – management and execution of the global expansion of ChargePoint to Europe and China.
- Creation and Management of resources, tools, schedule, financials and solutions for successful expansion funding and roll-out programs.
- Negotiate and close agreements between ChargePoint and investors, ecosystem partners, customers.
- Budget oversight and tracking of ChargePoint’s expansion funds allocated by Board (working with finance team and management team). Responsibility for delivering to budget.
- Oversight of hiring process of MD and key personnel in expansion territories and liaison with these personnel
- Transition team: responsible for creation and oversight of the transition team Knowledge transfer: responsible for establishing a team within ChargePoint to train the expansion territories and deliver knowledge on the business
- Continually optimize the Business Development activities – standardize and productize and ensure that BD initiatives are scalable and repeatable.
- Meet quarterly objectives (MBO’s) and metrics that are set individually and relate directly to activities assigned. Compensation may include a variable component based on successful completion of MBO’s.
- Must be willing to work flexibly. The role includes managing investors, partners and customers across different timezones, with significant travel requirement (30-50% approx.).
Desired Skills & Experience
- Undergraduate Degree is required; MBA is desirable
- Minimum 10 years in Business Development (not inside sales) and 5 years in management. Experience should include new market development and launch, and sales experience.
- International experience required in Europe, ideally Germany, and China
- German and Chinese language skills desirable
- Entrepreneurial spirit: willingness and proven ability to push new opportunities (both externally to investors, ecosystem and customers, and internally to existing teams)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and organizational skill – able to multi-task with strong attention to detail. Management team expects the role to be able to understand, track and report at all levels of detail.
- Business, Negotiation and Financial aptitude and ability to understand business impacts of contract language and legal and policy in foreign countries
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with diverse stakeholders, including; senior functional management, project sponsors/investors, strategic partners, government and utilities, and Fortune 1000 customers
- Self-motivated with strong leadership, diplomatic and motivational skills including the ability to lead up, across, and down multiple business and technology organizations.
- Key Metric Creation: Research best practices within and outside the organization to establish benchmark data, and use continuous process improvement disciplines to achieve results.
- An understanding of software and hardware architectures and product lifecycles – cloud computing, web services, API’s
If there is a match between your experiences/skills and the Company needs, we will contact you directly.
ChargePoint is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants only - Recruiting agencies do not contact.