ChargePoint Applauds White House Initiative to Accelerate Electric Vehicle Charging in U.S.
ChargePoint announces a $20 million commitment toward deployment of national network of high-speed charging stations and community charging
Campbell, Calif. — ChargePoint, the global leader in electric vehicle charging, today applauded an announcement from the White House, in which it unveiled a new initiative to promote electric vehicle charging infrastructure nationwide. Principles include a robust marketplace, customer choice and a grid-connected infrastructure that is accessible, affordable, available and reliable.
At the same time, ChargePoint announced that it is committing up to $20 million toward the deployment of a national network of high-speed charging stations as part of public-private partnerships. This investment will go towards the development and deployment of a national network of high-speed charging stations along our interstate highway system and community charging programs to expand the network of charging spots in and around smart cities.
“Today’s White House announcement demonstrates that our nation’s leadership understands that the future of transportation in this country is electric,” said Pasquale Romano, CEO of ChargePoint. “At ChargePoint, we support this vision and believe that we need a network of charging stations in our communities and along our nation’s interstate highways. That’s why we’re committing to investing $20 million for the development and deployment of this network.”
The White House announcement and fact sheet can be found here. Key components of the initiative include:
- Unlocking up to $4.5 billion in loan guarantees and inviting applications to support the commercial-scale deployment of innovative electric vehicle charging facilities; and
- Launching a process to identify zero emission and alternative fuel corridors, including for electric vehicle charging across the country, and beginning the effort to develop a 2020 vision for a national network of electric vehicle fast charging stations that will help determine where to locate fast charging infrastructure.
A summary of ChargePoint’s commitment follows:
21st Century Interstate Highway Vision
ChargePoint, the global leader in electric vehicle charging, believes a national network of high-speed charging stations along our interstate highway system is a vital component of the United States’ electrified transportation future.
- ChargePoint commits up to $20 million toward the deployment of a national network of high-speed charging stations as part of public-private partnerships. This includes R&D investments, site identification, smart city deployments and DC fast charger corridors. ChargePoint will work with the Department of Transportation, other federal, state and local government agencies and private entities to determine the optimal location for such high-speed charging stations and to secure financing from private entities and through public-private partnerships.
- ChargePoint is committed to developing advanced technologies to improve the speed of highway charging in tandem with next-generation battery technologies.
- ChargePoint is committed to working with the broader industry to develop the roaming standards necessary for interoperability.
- ChargePoint commits to working with OEMs to make data available to help optimize their vehicle programs and better understand driver behavior.
- ChargePoint commits to working with utilities to make data available to help improve vehicle grid integration and better understand driver behavior.
The Department of Energy’s EV Everywhere Grand Challenge has already shown that community charging – at apartments, condominiums, workplaces and around town – is essential to the EV charging experience.
- ChargePoint has met this challenge, with more than 29,000 charging spots across the nation, and commits to continued support for community charging initiatives to reach and exceed the 2022 Grand Challenge goal.
- ChargePoint commits to offering U.S. Department of Transportation’s Smart City Challenge applicants technical support to integrate electric vehicle charging into their city’s transportation infrastructure. ChargePoint will provide guidance on optimal charging station specifications for a given location, public/private partnerships to spur electric vehicle adoption and best practices for EV charging.