General ChargePoint Home FAQs
- What are the different station options? Why would a driver choose one over the other?
- Why does a driver need a charging station at home?
- Why does a driver need a networked station?
- What features are unique to ChargePoint Home versus a competitor's station?
- How do I install ChargePoint Home?
- Can the station be used outdoors?
- Is ChargePoint Home easily portable?
- What are the dimensions?
- Can I buy ChargePoint Home for my business?
- What are the available cord lengths?
- What is the maximum output power?
- Can I track my energy consumption for each session?
- Is the software upgradable?
- Do you get support with ChargePoint Home?
- Does ChargePoint provide a warranty with Home?
- Are there any recurring fees to use ChargePoint Home?
- Why do you need my credit card information to use ChargePoint Home?
- Does ChargePoint Home require a ChargePoint membership?
What are the different station options? Why would a driver choose one over the other?
There are two variables: connector type (Type 1 or Type 2) and cable length.
Choose the connector type that works with your car:
- Type 1 connector works with cars such as the Nissan LEAF (models older than 2018), Mitsubishi Outlander, Kia Soul EV, Nissan e-NV200/Evalia.
- Type 2 connector works with all other new cars, including BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, Volvo, Renault, Volkswagen, Hyundai.
Check your owner’s manual if you’re not sure which connector your car accepts.
Choose your charging cable length based on where you park. You may want to measure the distance from your charging port to where you plan to install your station.
- 8 metres provides maximum flexibility to reach the charging port on any EV, no matter where you park.
- 6 metres provides good reach and works in most parking situations.
Why does a driver need a charging station at home?
Plugging into a standard wall outlet provides a maximum of 10 miles of range per hour of charging. A ChargePoint Home station adds up to 25 miles of range per hour and fully charges most EVs in 4 hours.
Why does a driver need a networked station?
The majority of home chargers are non-networked stations. Because Home is networked and Wi-Fi enabled, drivers have access to a host of features including:
- Automatic updates with the latest software upgrades over Wi-Fi
- Remote start, scheduling and reminders with the ChargePoint mobile app
- Energy tracking and estimated miles added based on your car model
- Check with your utility provider to find the best time to charge, when electricity is cheapest
- Allows drivers to track all of their charging history in one place
What features are unique to ChargePoint Home versus a competitor's station?
- The charging cable is tethered, so you don’t have to get your charging cable out of your car every time you want to charge
- Configurable power levels – 16, 20, 24 or 32 amps
- Networked station offers remote start, scheduling, reminder, energy tracking and more through the ChargePoint app
- Most home stations can’t schedule charging, and the ones that do have limited scheduling options
- Meets stringent CE safety requirements
- Only station that provides drivers charging analytics including their energy usage and how many miles they've added based on their car model
How do I install ChargePoint Home?
To learn more, check out our ChargePoint Home installation video. In order to qualify for the OLEV EVHS grant scheme, you'll need to have ChargePoint Home installed by an Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme authorised installer, which you can find here.
Can the station be used outdoors?
Yes – Home is durable and suitable for outdoor or indoor use.
Is ChargePoint Home easily portable?
To have the charger installed or removed, you'll need to call an electrician.
What are the dimensions?
Home is just 18 cm (7 in) wide by 28 cm (11 in) high and 11 cm (4 in) deep (wall mount) and just under 18 cm (7 in) deep when the connector is docked. It takes up less wall space than an A4 sheet of paper.
Can I buy ChargePoint Home for my business?
Home is for residential use only. You should not install Home at a business. If installed at a business, the station's warranty will be voided.
If you're looking for an EV charger at your business, check out our Commercial stations which allow you to set usage fees, access control and more. ChargePoint leads the market with revolutionary commercial EV charging.
What are the available cord lengths?
6 and 8 metres
What is the maximum output power?
Can I track my energy consumption for each session?
Yes. The ChargePoint app has a feature called Charging Activity that will show you a graph of real-time power in kW and energy consumption in kWh for each session.
Is the software upgradable?
Yes – Home is Wi-Fi enabled and ChargePoint will remotely and automatically update the station as new features become available.
Do you get support with ChargePoint Home?
Yes – Home users benefit from 24/7 phone support from our team on +44 (020) 7519 5052 (UK) or +49 (069) 9530 7383 (Germany).
Does ChargePoint provide a warranty with Home?
Home is backed by a 3-year warranty and comes from a world leader in commercial EV charging.
Are there any recurring fees to use ChargePoint Home?
Why do you need my credit card information to use ChargePoint Home?
We ask for your credit card information in case you want to charge at public charging stations. Your card won't be charged until you use a public charging station.
Does ChargePoint Home require a ChargePoint membership?
Yes. ChargePoint Home owners will need a ChargePoint account to use smart features. Signing up with ChargePoint is free and easy.