EV Driver Support
Are you a ChargePoint EV driver who needs help now? Call us for a quick, helpful answer. We take care of EV drivers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for charging session support and ChargePoint account assistance.
EV Driver and ChargePoint Account Assistance
U.S. and Canada Toll Free: 1-888-758-4389
EV Driver FAQ
- What is ChargePoint?
- What can I do with my ChargePoint account?
- How do I find a spot to charge?
- How do I start a charging session?
- How much will I pay to charge my car?
- How do I obtain or activate ChargePoint cards?
- How do I pay for access to a charging station with my ChargePoint card?
- What are notifications, and why are they important?
- How does ChargePoint manage station faults?
ChargePoint is the largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network in the world, with more than 51,900 charging locations. Ranked #1 by leading independent research firm, Navigant Research, ChargePoint makes advanced hardware and best-in-class cloud based software. ChargePoint’s open network is utilized by many leading EV hardware makers and encourages all EV charging manufacturers to join.
ChargePoint’s real-time network information including the availability of charging locations throughout the nation is available through the ChargePoint mobile app, online and via the navigation systems in top-selling EVs including the new BMW i3 and the Nissan LEAF. Every 9 seconds, a driver connects to a ChargePoint station and by initiating over 40.4 million charging sessions, ChargePoint drivers have saved over 42 million gallons of gasoline and driven 1005 million gas free miles.
Creating a ChargePoint account will give you quick and easy access to the largest EV charging network with over 51,900 places to plug in. You can initiate sessions without a membership, but with a free ChargePoint account, you can set up mobile and email notifications to get updates on the charging status of your vehicle.
You can also save your favorite station locations, manage your charging payments, track your energy use, gas savings, and greenhouse gas emissions avoided. Plus, view your monthly statements to track all your charging activity. Sign up here.
Get the ChargePoint app to find available spots, start charging and get updates when your car is fully charged.
You can easily start a session with your ChargePoint card, using the ChargePoint mobile app, with an RFID credit card or by calling driver support at 888-758-4389. The 888 number is listed on each ChargePoint station and on the back of your ChargePoint card.
There are three ways to start a charging session:
- Tap to charge. With the ChargePoint app installed, you can start a charging session by holding your phone over the reader symbol on the station. Make sure you have the app and are signed in to your account.
- iPhone: In the ChargePoint app, go to Menu, select Account and then Manage Cards. Pick "set it up,” add your ChargePoint pass to Apple Wallet and tap your phone on the station to charge.
- Android: Enable NFC, turn your phone screen on and tap your phone on the station to charge.
- Start charging from the app. Choose the station and click the ‘Start Charge’ button.
- Use your ChargePoint card. Just tap your activated ChargePoint card (make sure to activate it) on the card reader symbol on the station.
If you need help, call driver support at 1-888-758-4389.
Stations on the ChargePoint network are independently owned, so each station owner sets the price for use of their stations. Many stations are completely free to use. You can see the price to use a specific station on our mobile app by viewing the indicated rates on the station details page, or click a charge spot on our online map and view pricing in the station details pop up. The price also scrolls across the charging station's display. Because prices are dynamically configured by individual station owners, the price you pay at any given ChargePoint station is subject to change at any time without notification.
You can sign up for a free ChargePoint card online or via our ChargePoint mobile app. After signup you will receive a free card within 7-10 business days. Once it arrives, you must log in to your account and activate your card. Go to My Account and select Manage ChargePoint Cards. Make sure you have your ChargePoint card on hand to enter the serial number and select save.
The price to charge varies across ChargePoint’s network. Many are free to use but some do have a fee. So, in case you come across a paid station, on signup, we ask for your credit card information. Upon first use of a paid station, your credit card will be charged a $25 deposit which will be applied as a balance on your ChargePoint account. Each time you pay to use a station, the fees will be deducted from your ChargePoint account balance. When your account runs low, we will automatically charge your credit card $25 or the amount equivalent to three month's average use so your ChargePoint account always maintains a balance. If you only use free stations, your credit card will never be charged. If you cancel your account, you will be refunded the remainder of your deposit. To update your credit card information, go to the Financial Information section under My Account.
Make sure you’ve signed in to your ChargePoint account and enabled tap to charge. This will resolve the issue.
Notifications help you stay aware of your electric vehicle charging status at all times. You can set up mobile and email
- When your car is fully charged.
- When charging is interrupted.
- When the power to your car is reduced.
- For charging station reservation status and reminders.
ChargePoint monitors the health of the network. When we encounter a station that is not operating correctly or are alerted to a down station by a driver, we reach out to the owner (or their designee) in order to help facilitate the repair. The vast majority of ChargePoint manufactured stations are owned independently, and thus, any repair or maintenance of those stations will be carried out by the owner of a given charging station.