Celebrating Eight Years of "Driving a Better Way"
Campbell, Calif. – It’s a week for celebration here at ChargePoint. Not only are we kicking off National Drive Electric Week, but we’re also celebrating our eighth birthday. We bet on electric vehicles (EVs) before they were even on the road and we knew drivers would need smart charging.
A lot has changed over the last eight years since ChargePoint was first founded. Back then, most EVs were little more than glorified golf carts, and saying you saw a “leaf” on the road just meant that a neighbor’s yard maintenance routine might have lapsed for the weekend. But as drivers on the ChargePoint network know, EVs are truly a better way to drive – and we’re seeing tremendous environmental gains as a result of their growth.
In fact, since our launch in September 2007, ChargePoint drivers have:
- Driven more than 250 million gas-free miles – the equivalent of driving around the earth more than 10,000 times
- Avoided more than 32 million kilograms of CO2 emissions and 34 million kilograms of greenhouse gas emissions– more carbon than the entire United States emits over the course of two years
- Saved more than 10 million gallons of gasoline
- Initiated more than 11 million charging sessions and fueled their cars with 82 gigawatt hours of electricity – enough electricity to power the average California home for more than 25 years
ChargePoint was built on the principle that developing a strong, open EV charging network was key to supporting broad-based EV market growth. The fact that our company has undergone and continues to experience such tremendous growth is a testament to the strength of our business model and to the fact that we are truly “driving a better way.”
In eight short years – many of which were passed before the industry had begun to develop in earnest – ChargePoint has:
- Deployed more than 23,600 charging locations around the world – more locations than Starbucks
- Released the world’s most advanced, beautiful home charger, ChargePoint Home
- Launched Express DC Fast Charging to support long-range EV driving
ChargePoint’s mission is to get all drivers behind the wheel of an EV and provide them a place to charge at home, at work, around town or out-of-town – and we’re looking forward to many more great years and hundreds of millions of gas-free miles to come.