Heading down the highway, looking for adventure... and keeping an eye on your range. Sound familiar? If you drive electric, you’ve definitely had to plan long trips around where you can charge. Because we understand the needs of EV drivers on long trips, we’ve been busy working to open up convenient all-electric travel to new people and places while continuing to deliver a great charging experience.
Recently, we completed a stretch of the West Coast Electric Highway, funded by the California Energy Commission. This portion of the highway features sixteen locations to keep EV drivers charged up for more than 600 miles, from Yreka to Valencia (and beyond). Each location has DC fast charging to get EV drivers back on the road quickly, as well as AC charging meant for cars that don’t have fast charge capability or for drivers staying longer to eat a meal or stay overnight. All of the locations are collaborations with businesses that are excited to support EV drivers and the future of mobility.
Urban areas like Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles already have many places to charge, but these new locations open up I-5 for long-distance electric travel and bring charging to rural and underserved communities, helping more people drive electric, even if they’re not able to charge at home or work. Our work with the California Energy Commission can serve as an example to other states that are developing their corridor charging programs. The San Joaquin Valley Air District also contributed funding to 5 of the 16 sites along the highway, showing that it truly takes a village to build out fast charging to support long trips.
These charging spots make up the newest section of the West Coast Electric Highway. See them in the image at top, numbered north to south, in context with other charging spots in California.
- Yreka Carl's Jr 1868 Fort Jones Rd Yreka, CA 96097
- Weed Comfort Inn Mount Shasta Area 1844 Shastina Dr, Weed, CA 96094
- Mt Shasta Shopping Center 134 Morgan Way, Mt Shasta, CA 96067
- Dunsmuir Yak's on the 5 4917 Dunsmuir Ave Dunsmuir, CA 96025
- Lakehead Basshole Brews 20725 Lakeshore Dr, Lakehead, CA 96051
- Redding Target 1280 Dana Dr, Redding, CA 96003
- Anderson Vittles Restaurant 2385 North St Anderson, CA 96007
- Red Bluff Best Western Antelope Inn and Suites 203 Antelope Blvd, Red Bluff, CA 96080
- Stockton Target 10424 Trinity Parkway, Stockton, CA 95219
- Gustine Santa Nella 76 12754 California 33, Gustine, CA 95322
- Coalinga Chevron 25032 W Dorris Ave, Coalinga, CA
- Buttonwillow Starbucks/Subway 20673 Tracy Ave #102, Buttonwillow, CA 93206
- Tejon Ranch / Best Western Liberty Inn 5521 Dennis McCarthy Dr, Lebec Kern CA
- Jack in the Box 73 Frazier Mountain Park Rd, Lebec Los Angeles CA
- Castaic Town Center 27923 Sloan Canyon Road, Castaic, CA 91384 Castaic Los Angeles CA
- Valencia Hilton 27710 The Old Road, Valencia, CA 91355 Valencia Los Angeles CA
Ready to explore new places thanks to new charging spots? Find the fast charger that works with your car in our app.