General ChargePoint Home FAQs
- What are the different station options? Why would a driver choose one over the other?
- Why does a driver need a Level 2 station at home?
- Why does a driver need a networked station?
- What features are unique to ChargePoint Home versus a competitor's station?
- Can the station be used outdoors?
- Is ChargePoint Home easily portable?
- What are the dimensions?
- Can I buy ChargePoint Home for my business?
- What are the available cord lengths?
- What is the maximum output power?
- Can I track my energy consumption for each session?
- Is the software upgradable?
- Do you get support with ChargePoint Home?
- Does ChargePoint provide a warranty with Home?
- Are there any recurring fees to use ChargePoint Home?
- Why do you need my credit card information to use ChargePoint Home?
- Does ChargePoint Home require a ChargePoint account?
- How do I set up reminders to plug in?
- How do I schedule charging?
- Will ChargePoint Home work without WiFi?
- How can I make sure that others aren't using my ChargePoint Home when I'm not home?
- What can I do with Alexa and Home?
- How do I connect Home and Alexa?
- What's the difference between the ChargePoint skill and ChargePoint Home skill?
- I can't pair Alexa with Home.
- How do I use Alexa with ChargePoint?
- How do I rename my ChargePoint Home?
- How do I request more Alexa skills?
What are the different station options? Why would a driver choose one over the other?
You can choose which version of ChargePoint Home works best for you based on installation type and cord length. You can also view the Home buying guide to decide which station is right for you.
- The Plug version is for indoor installation only but is flexible – it's easy to take with you if you move. Also, installing an outlet generally is more affordable than hardwiring a station and with the correct outlet you can install the station yourself.
- The Hardwire version can be installed either indoors or outdoors and requires a professional electrician.
The cord has a universal connector that charges any EV on the road. It's up to you what length fits your parking style.
- 25' provides maximum flexibility to reach the charging port on any EV no matter how or where you park
- 18' provides good reach and is more manageable than the 25'
Why does a driver need a Level 2 station at home?
ChargePoint Home is the 32A Level 2 charger that can charge your EV 6X faster than a standard wall outlet. While plugging into a 110V outlet (level 1) only provides a maximum of 5 miles of range per hour of charging, ChargePoint Home provides 25 miles per hour.
Why does a driver need a networked station?
Because ChargePoint Home is a networked and Wi-Fi enabled residential charging station, ChargePoint drivers have access to a host of smart features including:
- Automatic updates with the latest software upgrades over WiFi
- Remote start, scheduling and reminders with the ChargePoint mobile app
- Energy tracking and estimated miles added based on your car model
- Identify your utility provider to recommend the best time to charge
- Integrated with the ChargePoint network so drivers can track all their charging session data in one place
What features are unique to ChargePoint Home versus a competitor's station?
Along with a quick and reliable charge, ChargePoint Home users have access to ChargePoint’s extensive public EV charging network and 24/7 support team available online or 1-888-758-4389 (available 24/7, toll-free in the U.S. and Canada). Drivers also have access to smart and tested features like:
- Stop and start charging remotely
- Scheduling charging when energy is cheapest based
- Set reminders to plug in
- Track your public and home charging and cost in the ChargePoint mobile app
- UL listed for product safety and Energy Star certified for energy efficiency
Can the station be used outdoors?
Yes – Home is durable and suitable for outdoor and indoor use. Outdoor installation requires the hardwire version.
Is ChargePoint Home easily portable?
The plug version can be easily uninstalled (unplugged) and moved. To move the hardwired version, you'll need to call an electrician.
What are the dimensions?
Home is just 7 inches wide by 11 inches high and 4 inches deep (wall mount) and just under 7 inches deep when the connector is docked. It takes up less wall space than a sheet of paper.
Can I buy ChargePoint Home for my business?
Home is for residential use only. You should not install Home at a business. If installed at a business, the station's warranty will be voided.
If you're looking for an EV charger at your business, check out our Commercial stations which allow you to set usage fees, access control and more. ChargePoint leads the market with revolutionary commercial EV charging.
What are the available cord lengths?
ChargePoint Home 32 Amp station is available with an 18 or 25' cord.
What is the maximum output power?
Can I track my energy consumption for each session?
Yes. The ChargePoint mobile app has a feature called Charging Activity that will show you a graph of real time power in kW and energy consumption in kWh for each session.
Is the software upgradable?
Yes – Home is WiFi enabled and ChargePoint will remotely and automatically update the station as new features become available.
Do you get support with ChargePoint Home?
Yes – Home users will benefit from free 24/7 support available online or 1-888-758-4389 (available 24/7, toll-free in the U.S. and Canada).
Does ChargePoint provide a warranty with Home?
Home is backed by a 3-year warranty and comes from the world leader in commercial EV charging.
Are there any recurring fees to use ChargePoint Home?
Why do you need my credit card information to use ChargePoint Home?
We ask for your credit card information to keep as a credit on your account in case you want to charge at public charging stations. If you never charge at a public station with a fee, your card won't be charged until you use a public charging station.
Does ChargePoint Home require a ChargePoint account?
Yes. ChargePoint Home owners will need a ChargePoint account but it is free to sign up with ChargePoint.
How do I set up reminders to plug in?
Make sure your home charger is activated and connected to WiFi. In the ChargePoint app, open the main menu and select Home Charger. Click Remind Me to Plug In and turn on the Remind me option. Then, just pick what time you’d like to get your reminder. If you’re not plugged in at that time, we’ll send you an app notification reminder every day.
How do I schedule charging?
Make sure your home charger is activated and connected to WiFi. In the ChargePoint app, open the main menu and select Home Charger. Click Schedule. Turn on the Schedule option. Choose your local utility and plan, and we’ll recommend the best time to charge.
If you’d like, you can select a different time to charge. Just click the start and end times to change them. Set a different schedule for weekdays and weekends based on your needs.
Note: If the app doesn’t select the right utility or plan for you, please contact us at chargepoint.com/support or 1-888-758-4389.
Will ChargePoint Home work without WiFi?
Yes. If your WiFi is down or disconnected, ChargePoint Home will still charge your car on schedule. If you need to charge sooner, just plug in, unplug and plug back in within a few seconds to start charging your vehicle right away. Learn more in the install guide.
If you don’t have ChargePoint Home on a schedule, it will start charging your car as soon as you plug in, even without a WiFi connection.
How can I make sure that others aren't using my ChargePoint Home when I'm not home?
To make sure that there is no unauthorized use on your ChargePoint Home, you can schedule charging in the ChargePoint app to only dispense energy when you need it. If you need to charge at a different time, plug in, unplug and plug in again to start charging. You can also always check the charging status of your Home or stop charging remotely in the ChargePoint app.
What can I do with Alexa and Home?
Connect Amazon Alexa with ChargePoint Home and use your voice to:
- Start and stop charging your car (Home Needed)
- Ask if your car is plugged in (Home Needed)
- Check charging status (Home Needed)
- Check miles added (Home not required)
- See how much you spent on charging (Home required now but working on enhancement to include public charging)
- Check your ChargePoint account balance (Home not required)
How do I connect Home and Alexa?
First, use the ChargePoint app to connect Home to WiFi and your ChargePoint account:
- Turn on Bluetooth and WiFi on your phone. (Stand close to Home to make sure you can connect.)
- Open the ChargePoint app. On the main menu, click "Home Charger."
- Select "Set Up Home Charger" from the Home Charger screen.
- Select "Activate" and follow the instructions in the app.
Note: Connecting to Home is optional if you don’t have ChargePoint Home and just want to use Alexa to check your ChargePoint account balance and history.
Then, add the ChargePoint skill in the Amazon Alexa app and connect your ChargePoint account to Alexa:
- Open the Amazon Alexa app
- On the main menu, choose "Skills"
- Type ChargePoint in the search bar
- Select the ChargePoint Skill
- Click enable (you'll be directed to chargepoint.com)
- Enter your ChargePoint account details
- Click Done
- Tell Alexa to ask ChargePoint to start a charge
You can only connect one ChargePoint account to Alexa.
What’s the difference between the ChargePoint skill and ChargePoint Home skill?
ChargePoint Home is a smart home skill set that allows you to turn your charger on and off.
ChargePoint is a custom skill that includes the ChargePoint Home skill and more, including the ability to charge your EV and check how much you're spending on charging. If you want to charge your car using Alexa, you’ll need the ChargePoint skill.
I can't pair Alexa with Home.
Make sure your home charger is activated and connected to WiFi (the LED ring should be green if you're not plugged in) and that your phone has WiFi or mobile connectivity.
If you still have trouble, request help here.
How do I use Alexa with ChargePoint?
After you connect ChargePoint Home to Alexa, Alexa will be able to ask ChargePoint to charge your car, check your balance and more. Just say, "Alexa, ask ChargePoint..."
- To start charging my car
- To stop charging my car
- If my car is plugged in
- How many miles I’ve added
- How much I spent on charging last month
- To check my account balance
How do I rename my ChargePoint Home?
In the ChargePoint app, open the menu, then navigate to Home Charger > Settings > Name. Edit your Home Charger Name and save.
How do I request more Alexa skills?
We want to make sure Alexa is useful to you. Just email your ideas to HomeFeedback@chargepoint.com and we’ll see what we can do.