How do I start a charging session or use Tap to Charge at a ChargePoint station?
Last updated: May 8, 2023
There are three ways to start a charging session at a ChargePoint station:
- Tap to charge. With the ChargePoint app installed, you can start a charging session on a ChargePoint station by holding your phone over the reader symbol on the station. Make sure you have the app installed and are signed in to your account.
- Start charging from the app. Choose the station and click the Start Charge button.
- Use your ChargePoint card. Just tap your activated ChargePoint card (make sure to activate it) on the card reader symbol on the station. Some roaming partner stations require the use of a ChargePoint card.
Connect the charging cable to your vehicle and, if necessary, to the charging station. Check to make sure that your EV is charging.
When charging is finished, just unplug the cable from your vehicle and, if necessary, the station (press the stop charging button on the station if you’re fast charging). We’ll send you a receipt by email, and you can view your charging history in Charging Activity in the app.
Using Tap to Charge on
- iPhone: In the ChargePoint app, go to Menu, select Account and then Manage Cards. Pick Set it up, add your ChargePoint pass to Apple Wallet and tap your phone on the station to charge.
- You’ll need either an iPhone SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7 or 7 Plus running iOS 10 or newer, or an Apple Watch 1st generation, Series 1 or Series 2.
- Android: Enable NFC, turn your phone screen on and tap your phone on the station to charge.
- You'll need an Android 4.4 or later with NFC.