How do I start a charging session or use Tap to Charge at a ChargePoint station?
There are three ways to start a charging session at a ChargePoint station:
- Tap to Charge is available in North America. With the ChargePoint app installed, you can start a charging session on a ChargePoint station by holding your phone over the reader symbol on the station. Make sure you have the app installed and are signed into your account.
- Start charging from the app. Choose the station and click the Start Charge button from the station details in the ChargePoint app.
- Use your ChargePoint card. Just tap your activated ChargePoint card (make sure to activate it) on the card reader symbol on the station. Some roaming partner stations require the use of a ChargePoint card.
Connect the charging cable to your vehicle and, if necessary, to the charging station. Check to make sure that your EV is charging.
When charging is finished, just unplug the cable from your vehicle and, if necessary, the station (press the stop charging button on the station if you’re fast charging). We’ll send you a receipt by email, and you can view your charging history in Charging Activity in the app.
Start a session with Tap to Charge
In North America, Tap to Charge is the easiest way to charge your EV at a ChargePoint station. There’s no need to carry a card—all you need is your ChargePoint account and your phone!
Here's how to set up and use Tap to Charge:
- Use the ChargePoint app to sign up or log into your account.
- If you are creating an account for the first time, set up Tap to Charge by adding ChargePoint to Apple Wallet (for iPhone) or turning on NFC (for Android). If you already have a ChargePoint account and haven’t set up Tap to Charge, open the menu in the top left corner.
- Select Account, Manage Cards then Set it up.
- Add ChargePoint Pass as a card or to your Wallet.
Tip: Setting up Tap to Charge is different for iPhones and Android phones, so follow the directions in your app.
- Once you’ve set up Tap to Charge, find a station where you want to charge in the app.
- After arriving at the station, hold your phone up to the station’s reader to unlock the connector. Make sure NFC is turned on and your screen is on for Android. For iPhone, if you’re not using Face ID, double-check that your finger is on the home button to use Touch ID.
- Plug in your car and go about your day.
- When you’re notified that your EV has finished charging, move your car so others can charge.
Using Tap to Charge on
- iPhone: You’ll need either an iPhone SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7 or 7 Plus running iOS 10 or newer, or an Apple Watch 1st generation, Series 1 or Series 2.
- Android: You'll need an Android 4.4 or later with NFC.