General ChargePoint Home FAQs
- What are the different station options? Why would a driver choose one over the other?
- Why does a driver need a Level 2 station at home?
- Why does a driver need a networked station?
- What features are unique to ChargePoint Home versus a competitor's station?
- Can the station be used outdoors?
- Is ChargePoint Home easily portable?
- What are the dimensions?
- Can I buy ChargePoint Home for my business?
- What are the available cord lengths?
- What's the amperage of the cords?
- What is the maximum output power?
- Can I track my energy consumption for each session?
- How does ChargePoint Home work with Nest?
- Is the software upgradable?
- Do you get support with ChargePoint Home?
- Does ChargePoint provide a warranty with Home?
- Are there any recurring fees to use ChargePoint Home?
- Why do you need my credit card information to use ChargePoint Home?
- Does ChargePoint Home require a ChargePoint membership?
What are the different station options? Why would a driver choose one over the other?
There are three variables: Power level, installation type and cord length. View the buying guide to decide which station is right for you.
Power Level: The station's maximum charging speed depends on your car's onboard charger—check your vehicle's specifications. For either option, you may need to upgrade your panel.
- The 32 Amp station is six times faster than your standard 110V outlet delivering up to 25 miles of Range Per Hour (RPH). The station won't deliver maximum power if your car has a slower onboard charger.
- The 16 Amp station is three times faster than your standard 110V outlet delivering up to 12 miles of Range Per Hour (RPH). Drivers should consider future charging needs – if their next vehicle can charge at a faster rate, they may want to consider the 32 Amp station.
Installation Type: Home can be installed inside or outside. Depending on which version you want, you may need some electrical work.
- The Plug version is for indoor installation only but is flexible – it's easy to take with you if you move. Also, installing an outlet generally is more affordable than hardwiring a station and with the correct outlet you can install the station yourself.
- The Hardwire version can be installed either indoors or outdoors and requires a professional electrician.
Charging Cord: The cord has a universal connector that charges any EV on the road. It's up to you what length fits your parking style.
- 25' provides maximum flexibility to reach the charging port on any EV no matter how or where you park
- 18' provides good reach and is more manageable than the 25'
- 12' comes with Home 12, 16 Amp station only
Why does a driver need a Level 2 station at home?
Plugging into a 110V outlet (level 1) only provides a maximum of 5 miles of range per hour of charging. To charge a 100 mile range EV from empty on a level 1 station would take approximately 20-25 hours versus just 4 hours with a level 2 charger.
Why does a driver need a networked station?
The majority of home chargers are dumb, non-networked stations. Because Home is networked and Wi-Fi enabled, drivers have access to a host of features including:
- Automatic updates with the latest software upgrades over WiFi
- Remote start, scheduling and reminders with the ChargePoint mobile app
- Energy tracking and estimated miles added based on your car model
- Works with Nest so you can track usage and save on energy costs
- Identify your utility provider to recommend the best time to charge
- Integrated with the ChargePoint network so drivers can track all their charging session data in one place
What features are unique to ChargePoint Home versus a competitor's station?
- Cord is available in multiple lengths and is easily interchangeable
- Available in hardwire or plug installation
- Two power levels – 16 Amp and 32 Amp
- Networked station offering remote start, scheduling, reminder, energy tracking and more through the ChargePoint mobile app
- Only EV charger that works with Nest
- The majority of home stations don't have the ability to schedule charging and the ones that do have limited scheduling options. Home is 100% configurable.
- UL listed meeting the stringent requirements of the nation's leading safety standards organization.
- Only station that provides drivers charging analytics including their energy usage and how many miles they've added based on their car model
- Starting at $499, Home is one of the most affordable, feature-rich stations
Can the station be used outdoors?
Yes – Home is durable and suitable for outdoor and indoor use. Outdoor installation requires the hardwire version.
Is ChargePoint Home easily portable?
The plug version can be easily uninstalled (unplugged) and moved. To move the hardwired version, you'll need to call an electrician.
What are the dimensions?
Home is just 7 inches wide by 11 inches high and 4 inches deep (wall mount) and just under 7 inches deep when the connector is docked. It takes up less wall space than a sheet of paper.
Can I buy ChargePoint Home for my business?
Home is for residential use only. You should not install Home at a business. If installed at a business, the station's warranty will be voided.
If you're looking for an EV charger at your business, check out our Commercial stations which allow you to set usage fees, access control and more. ChargePoint leads the market with revolutionary commercial EV charging.
What are the available cord lengths?
Home 12, 16 Amp station comes with a 12' cord.
Home 25, 32 Amp station is available with an 18 or 25' cord.
What's the amperage of the cords?
12' cord: 16A
18' cord: 32A
25' cord: 32A
If you purchase a 16 Amp plug station, it will provide a maximum of 12 miles of Range Per Hour.
If you purchase a hardwire 16A station and want to upgrade to the faster charging speed, you will need to purchase a replacement cord (18 or 25') and upgrade your panel to a 40 A circuit.
What is the maximum output power?
Home 25, 32 Amp: 7.7 kW
Home 12, 16 Amp: 3.8 kW
Can I track my energy consumption for each session?
Yes. The ChargePoint mobile app has a feature called Charging Activity that will show you a graph of real time power in kW and energy consumption in kWh for each session.
How does ChargePoint Home work with Nest?
ChargePoint Home owners will be able to track their usage and energy costs through our integration with Nest and Nest energy reports. This is an optional feature.
Is the software upgradable?
Yes – Home is WiFi enabled and ChargePoint will remotely and automatically update the station as new features become available.
Do you get support with ChargePoint Home?
Yes – Home users will benefit from 24x7 phone support from our team at 1-888-758-4389
Does ChargePoint provide a warranty with Home?
Home is backed by a 3-year warranty and comes from the world leader in commercial EV charging.
Are there any recurring fees to use ChargePoint Home?
Why do you need my credit card information to use ChargePoint Home?
We ask for your credit card information in case you want to charge at public charging stations. Your card won't be charged until you use a public charging station.
Does ChargePoint Home require a ChargePoint membership?
Yes. ChargePoint Home owners will need a ChargePoint account but it is free to sign up with ChargePoint.