EV Driver Support
Are you a ChargePoint EV driver who needs help now? Call us for a quick, helpful answer. We take care of EV drivers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for charging session support and ChargePoint account assistance.
EV Driver and ChargePoint Account Assistance
U.S. and Canada Toll Free: 1-888-758-4389 (24 hours)
EV Driver FAQ
- What is ChargePoint?
- What can I do with my ChargePoint account?
- How do I find a spot to charge?
- Can I request a charging station to be installed near me?
- How do I start a charging session or use tap to charge?
- How much will I pay to charge my car?
- How do I obtain or activate ChargePoint cards?
- How do I pay for charging?
- Why am I seeing "You're not using a ChargePoint account" when I tap my phone on a station?
- What are notifications, and why are they important?
- How does ChargePoint manage station faults?
- What about charging at home?
- What can I do with Alexa and Home?
- How are my greenhouse gas savings computed?
ChargePoint is the largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network in the world, with more than 49,300 charging locations. Ranked #1 by leading independent research firm, Navigant Research, ChargePoint makes advanced hardware and best-in-class cloud based software. ChargePoint’s open network is utilized by many leading EV hardware makers and encourages all EV charging manufacturers to join.
ChargePoint’s real-time network information including the availability of charging locations throughout the nation is available through the ChargePoint mobile app, online and via the navigation systems in top-selling EVs including the new BMW i3 and the Nissan LEAF. Every 9 seconds, a driver connects to a ChargePoint station and by initiating over 38 million charging sessions, ChargePoint drivers have saved over 39.2 million gallons of gasoline and driven 937 million gas free miles.
Creating a ChargePoint account will give you quick and easy access to the largest EV charging network with over 49,300 places to plug in. You can initiate sessions without a membership, but with a free ChargePoint account, you can set up mobile and email notifications to get updates on the charging status of your vehicle.
You can also save your favorite station locations, manage your charging payments, track your energy use, gas savings, and greenhouse gas emissions avoided. Plus, view your monthly statements to track all your charging activity. Sign up here.
Get the ChargePoint app to find available spots, start charging and get updates when your car is fully charged.
Absolutely! Many of ChargePoint’s charging station locations are the result of driver feedback. If you can’t plug in and charge at a place you park often, click here and let us know.
There are three ways to start a charging session:
- Tap to charge. With the ChargePoint app installed, you can start a charging session by holding your phone over the reader symbol on the station. Make sure you have the app and are signed in to your account.
- iPhone: In the ChargePoint app, go to Menu, select Account and then Manage Cards. Pick "set it up,” add your ChargePoint pass to Apple Wallet and tap your phone on the station to charge.
- Android: Enable NFC, turn your phone screen on and tap your phone on the station to charge.
- Start charging from the app. Choose the station and click the ‘Start Charge’ button.
- Use your ChargePoint card. Just tap your activated ChargePoint card (make sure to activate it) on the card reader symbol on the station.
If you need help, call driver support at 1-888-758-4389.
Stations on the ChargePoint network are independently owned, so each station owner sets the price for use of their stations. Many stations are completely free to use. You can see the price to use a specific station on our mobile app by viewing the indicated rates on the station details page, or click a charge spot on our online map and view pricing in the station details pop up. The price also scrolls across the charging station's display. Because prices are dynamically configured by individual station owners, the price you pay at any given ChargePoint station is subject to change at any time without notification.
You can sign up for a free ChargePoint card online or via our ChargePoint mobile app. After signup you will receive a free card within 7-10 business days. Once it arrives, you must log in to your account and activate your card. Go to My Account and select Manage ChargePoint Cards. Make sure you have your ChargePoint card on hand to enter the serial number and select save.
ChargePoint operates on a credit system. The first time you use a ChargePoint station with a fee, you’ll need to enter payment information. We’ll charge you $10, keep that as a balance on your account and deduct your charging costs from it. Every time your balance goes below $5 we’ll add another $10 using the payment method on file. (If you charge your EV a lot, we’ll bring your balance up to your average monthly charging total instead of $10.)
If you only use free stations, we’ll never charge your card. If you cancel your account, we’ll refund the remainder of your balance. To update or remove your payment information anytime, go to Financial Information (web) or My Profile (mobile) under My Account.
Make sure you’ve signed in to your ChargePoint account and enabled tap to charge. This will resolve the issue.
Notifications help you stay aware of your electric vehicle charging status at all times. You can set up mobile and email
- When your car is fully charged.
- When charging is interrupted.
- When the power to your car is reduced.
- For charging station reservation status and reminders.
ChargePoint monitors the health of the network. When we encounter a station that is not operating correctly or are alerted to a down station by a driver, we reach out to the owner (or their designee) in order to help facilitate the repair. The vast majority of ChargePoint manufactured stations are owned independently, and thus, any repair or maintenance of those stations will be carried out by the owner of a given charging station.
What about charging at home?
ChargePoint Home is a Level 2 home charger that lets drivers add 25 miles of Range Per Hour (RPH), schedule charging at off-peak rates, set reminders and manage charging with the ChargePoint app. Visit the ChargePoint Home FAQ for more information about charging at home.
What can I do with Alexa and Home?
Connect Amazon Alexa with ChargePoint Home and use your voice to:
- Start and stop charging your car (Home Needed)
- Ask if your car is plugged in (Home Needed)
- Check charging status (Home Needed)
- Check miles added (Home not required)
- See how much you spent on charging (Home required now but working on enhancement to include public charging)
- Check your ChargePoint account balance (Home not required)
Visit the ChargePoint Home FAQ to learn more about Alexa and Home.
We use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates in a formula that derives the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions you've prevented, based on how much you've charged your EV, which is a measure of how many miles you've driven on electricity instead of gasoline. Here are the estimates we use in our calculation:
- Driving an internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle emits 8.8 kg of CO2 per gallon (19.4 lbs CO2/gal). 
- The US passenger car average fuel efficiency for ICE vehicles is 23.9 mi/gal (mpg) 
- An electric vehicle has an average efficiency of 3.0 mi/kWh. [Note: This is our estimate based on data for several types of electric vehicles.]
- The US average for emissions from generating electricity to fuel electric vehicles, is 1.55548 lbs CO2/kWh 
- CO2is 95% of GHG emissions